The National Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, South West Zone, has berated government at all levels, and Dangote group of company over the fatal accident which was caused by one of the latter’s articulated trucks and claimed lives of many students, and other victims on Saturday.
The students’ body poured out its displeasure over the disturbing development in a release jointly signed by the Zonal Coordinator, Kowe Odunayo Amos, and the Public Relations Officer, Kazeem Olalekan on Sunday.
The release reads; “We have once again being justified that government at all level in the country has failed in all ramifications most especially in relation to the provision of Section 14(2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) which provides that “security and welfare of the people shall be the primary responsibility of every government” with the accident which claimed the lives of tens of students at Akungba-Akoko yesterday.
“And, with the deafening silence of the Dangote Group of Company whose truck claimed the lives of students with the reckless driving of their driver, we cannot but say that there is scant regard for human lives on their part.
“It is important to state that, aside the fact that the accident could have been avoided if not for the reckless driving of the truck driver, the condition of the road is nothing to write home about which shows governmental inefficiency, irresponsibility and irresponsiveness to the plights of the citizens. It need be properly put on record that, on that particular road, many lives have been lost to accident as a result of its very bad condition which is not exclusive to that road alone.
“It is anti-developmental that the road has been lying in that condition for years when in the real sense, it ought to have been dualised while provision is enforced for pedestrian bridge.”
“As an association, we expressed serious sadness on the lost lives and we demand that;
- The government should compensate the family of the deceased and take responsibility for the treatment of the injured.
- The lives of students must be prioritise with the immediate dualisation of that road being facilitated by the government.
- The prosecution of the truck driver.
- The fulfilment of the social responsibility which Dangote owe the good people of the country (we are aware he has been evading this based on his collaboration with State agents).
- The construction of more hostels within the campus and implementation of mini-market within the campus.”